Singer Duffy says she was 'raped and drugged and held captive'



Welsh singer/songwriter Duffy, best known her 2008 hit, "Mercy," largely disappeared from the spotlight for the past decade, and during a candid Instagram post-Tuesday, she explained why.

Duffy, whose full name is Aimee Anne Duffy, shared that she was "raped and drugged and held captive over some days," but is "ok and safe now."

She didn't share when or where the alleged incidents happened but said she'd be answering questions during a "spoken interview" within the coming weeks.

A representative for her label didn't immediately answer an invitation for comment.

"The recovery took time. There is no light thanks to saying it. But I can tell you within the last decade, the thousands and thousands of days I committed to eager to feel the sunshine in my heart again, the sun does now shine," Duffy wrote. "You wonder why I didn't prefer to use my voice to precise my pain? I didn't want to point out the planet the sadness in my eyes. I asked myself, how am I able to sing from the guts if it's broken? And slowly it unbroke."

Duffy, 35, last released a studio album, "Endlessly," in 2010. She shared that she decided to travel public together with her story after finding it "amazing" to debate it with a journalist who'd reached out.

"You can only imagine the number of times I assumed about scripting this. The way I might write it, how I might feel thereafter," she shared. "Well, not entirely sure why now's the proper time, and what it's that feels exciting and liberating on behalf of me to speak ."